Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Twelve Days of Christmas




Let’s finish this year with The Twelve Days of Christmas; The Bear version, not the human version that came out 2 years later. No, this is not something from Gummi Bears. Yes I know this was released after Christmas, but my time is limited.

Carol Boomer (voiced by Larry “myinfamousmomentatretrocon” Kenney) has sent his squire Holly Berry (voiced by Phil Hartman) to find out what the melancholy, yet sassy and hostile Princess Silverbell loves for Christmas. Holly got the princess’ list, but little did he know it was the king’s list for a big crossword puzzle. (Hmmm, 7 words across of a synonym for stupid). The king’s list is the different nouns we know from the songs 12 Days of Christmas. On the first 4 Days of Christmas, it reveals the princess is allergic to feathers, but she likes the other gifts as she grows interest, but for who?

Look on the bright side, Holly. At least no one wished for Christmas every day, or used Mr. Burns’ 40 Days of Christmas, or Peter Griffin’s version with all 8 days are Maids of Milking.

Phil Hartman was one of the finest actors we lost. He does his high range voice he would use later in Kiki’s Delivery Service and his last vocal appearance in Silent Night. This film was the very last thing Romeo Muller wrote before he died. Some may point an error in what he wrote on certain days.

I love the princess’ design and “expression”. Story arc could have been unique, if it didn’t came out 1 year after Aladdin's Jasmine; a princess who don’t want to be marry. Silverbell is probably more defensive at the time before Jasmine throws a punch at the thief. Her timing reminds me of the King of Swamp Castle from Monty Python and the Holy Grail whenever she interrupts the entire 12 Days of Christmas lyrics by various dated singers that wouldn’t fit in the timeline, yet never said when it took place at.

Elvis Pawsley:  “Six Geese are Laying, Five Golden Rings…”

Princess Silverbell: Oh shut up!

King of Swamp Castlle: And no singing! Oh go get yourself some water.

I say expression loosely since the copy of Twelve Days of Christmas has yet to be remastered as it’s very bright to see the line work. Just like Noel, it first aired on NBC, but unlike Noel, it was reaired years later. I watched Twelve Days of Christmas on Fox Family in the same line-up with the Warner Bros’ Rankin Bass’ films. Yes, I now have to call the later Rankin Bass films that since recently AMC got them all from Freeform, all except for The Stingiest Man In Town, since no one got that.

Twelve Days of Christmas is the better latest Muller film than Noel. If Noel was to be realistic and depressing, then this film was unrealistic and uplifting. It’s a charming film I would return to in the next 12 months.

That’s it for this year for I, Retahensid to review. It’s interesting to know what other people did before and after Rankin Bass, but some of the films and westerns were a chore to go through. Now I would like to have an attention from the viewers. I’m putting up a task to you all. Should I continue reviewing here? You have until January 15 2019 to decide, and need more than two people of comments to judge. The reviewing show is in your hand.

1 comment:

  1. I like your reviews and hope you continue. This review was good and showed me something I'd never been aware of. I was not aware this was Romeo's last work. Often the last one is the best like Brandon Lee in The Crow or Orson Welles in Transformers The Movie. And don't worry if more people don't comment. Some people just don't know what to say or don't wanna make an account. I got this 1 guy in the Soviet Union who goes through over 100 pages of my blog every month. Its always the same reviews too. The only comments I get are spam but people still enjoy my demented reviews. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they ain't there( the fans).

    ReplyDelete